Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The past week or so..






I.have no idea where to begin, so I'll just start by copying and pasting different segments of what I've sent people recently in emails. After that, I'll elaborate :D I really haven't had much time to be on the computer, so if you've emailed and it's taken me awhile to respond, my apologies!!


I was on the beach today, and while I haven't yet seen a butterfly, there are these colorful birds that manage to flutter with such delicacy, as if the air does not exist and they are merely dancing with their wings, that I think of them more as precise creatures of myth than as what I had perceived as birds. Brazil is absolutely breathtaking. Every instant is an adventure, something new and..well..its difficult to find anything to be melancholic about in this beautiful city. My window faces the beach, and three others face the night lights of the city, and the skyline, and everything is so incredibly beckoning that I don't hardly know what to do with myself, so I do it all.


Honestly, there is absolutely nothing here that encourages unhappiness. Brazil is brimming over with life, and culture, and every weekend everybody goes out until 4 or 5 am. My skin, at the moment, is white and red. Hopefully it will turn to some strange, foreign shade of bronze, but chances are I'll just be pale again. Its nice to look different here, because while walking in the market in the center of the city, or anywhere, really, people will just come up to you and say "you're beautiful, you're very very beautiful". Except its in Portuguese, so its "Voce e muito bonito..muito, muito lindo" I'll miss that when I come back home :D


All my love to Wisconsin, and EAHS, and classes in English and people understanding most of what I'm trying to say. Last night, I saw this PHENOMENAL modern ballet, and absolutely fell in love with dance. I want to learn samba, and frevo, and everything else here! There was this part in the ballet, where everybody was dancing around a grid of glass vases, and it struck me as this humongous metaphor for life. To me, life is full of glass vases, and you can either tip toe around them, afraid you might slip and break a few, or dance throughout them and trust that you won't knock one over.


I love my host family so much, and I love the driver, and the maids, but I much don't like having people do things for me. Therefore, I don't think I've ever kept my room so clean in my life, and done so many dishes secretly, and, well...its strange. I'm excited to return to the States and be able to throw my clothes all over the place and actually keep them there. I'm so entirely grateful to be alive. I love that feeling.


Ah! A little side note about professors in Brazil that people might find interesting: They are SOOOO much more physical than in the US. I mean, if a teacher touches a student in the States, it is way uncommon and there generally has to be an immense level of trust. Here, its common and a part of teaching. Students walk into the classroom and hug the teachers, and I've been kissed I don't know how many times by most of my teachers. It's considered much less inappropriate here. My first day here, my teachers kissed me on the cheeks, the forehead, and even one on the neck, and it isn't stepping over any boundaries. Because it's so culturally acceptable, I don't feel awkward or uncomfortable or anything! Nobody does :) A kiss on the neck here is like a handshake in Elkhorn..not perceived as inappropriate in the least.
I've absolutely fallen in love with this country, and this city, and the language and everything.

While the students are a little less mature than students in Elkhorn (I know, I hadn't fathomed it possible) they are much..for lack of better term, light. Looking back on my life in Wisconsin, it seems so heavy! Everything was dramatic, deep, dark, and everything was like a thick fog weighing down on you. There is no angst in Brazil. Anger is upfront and rare, but very bold and I don't know if Brazilians know how to seethe or brew over something that happened years past.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay...elaboration:
I'm sitting in my room listening to American music right now, but I've been exposed to some Brazilian music and can't wait to hear more! Many people down here listen to American rap (Ameh-dee-kahn-ah hap) and I've encountered so many students obsessed with Beyonce, Lady Gaga and Ke$ha, its almost disgusting haha. The funny thing about when people sing American, or English, music here is that they get the first two or three words, and after that its just "llaaa laa naa naaa laaaa!". I laugh SOOOO hard, every time, and I've written out lyrics for Tik Tok, by Ke$ha, multiple times. Speaking of laughing so hard, I was in school the other day (which I'll talk more about in a minute) and my fried, Talita, got angry at some boy in the class and yelled "mennninnooo!" aah I wish typing it could do it justice. My mother would understand :D

I miss everybody a lot, which is part of why I haven't been on much. Every time I see an email, or a message, or a blog comment, or really anything from anyone that doesn't live in Brazil it feels like mustard gas and a kick in the stomach. Easter will be wonderful here, but a bit difficult because nothing beats dinner at Fields in the Wilderness with the Brancel family :)

My mom, dad, Ingrid, Todd and Hans are the people I miss most. And Sophie and Jess, too. And my Grandparents. And my cousins, and aunts and uncles and of course my friends. Friends of the family. SNOW. aaahhh cold weather. Having to try really hard to sweat.

My family here is wonderful, though, and I couldn't have asked for a better placement. My host mom and I get along really well, and I absolutely adore the dad, so we all talk every day and that's always nice. The host brother is nice, too, but I don't talk to him or see him much. I think my family is much more protective over me than those of the other exchange students, but I'm sure they'll loosen up with time and I trust them because they live here and..for lack of better term..they know what's up. It could be because they aren't used to a less wealthy way of life..for example, I don't much enjoy shopping for clothing with my host mom because I absolutely can not afford it lol. Everything in the Shopping here is CRAZY expensive, but when you go to the center of the city its much more affordable. AH! I went last Friday and bought a dress for this coming Friday, because there is a 15th birthday party for a girl I know..which is like a sweet 16 in the states, but way more extravagant. Anyway, my family doesn't really take buses or anything, so they're a little nervous about me using those, even though the other exchange students have parents who are okay with it. I don't argue though, and COMPLETELY understand, especially because I haven't been here for very long. <<--- I was reluctant to write about it, because I know a bunch of the comments are going to be "listen to your host parents, Maddie, they know what's best" and I AM and I APPRECIATE ALL THEY ARE DOING FOR ME SO MUCH ITS CRAZY!!! I WON'T GO AGAINST THEM! Last Saturday, there was a lunch and I met all the extended family, who I absolutely love. They are just like the Mossmans and the Brancels, but about one notch louder. I feel so at home with them :D Every night, they ask me about my day and talk about theirs, and we exchange different cultural appreciation things all the time, and..well...its just great.

School is going well and I have many close friends, and one in particular who I talk to all the time. I'm also really close with 4 or so other exchange students, and its nice to hang out with them because they're really fun and they speak English. Friday I was at a festa (party) with them, and we ended up swimming and stuff. Sunday, we all cooked this big extravagant Mexican dinner with the Mexican girl, Andrea, and it was the most delicious thing ever. Better than the Mexican store in town. There was a brief crisis period where we were without avocados, but we found some and all was well. BEST. GUACAMOLE. EVER.

I would talk more about school, but I should sleep because I was late today for the first time. So unlike me, right? In my defense, the traffic was even more terrible than usual. Oh! I should talk about that. The traffic is..well..omg. Its a one way street and it literally looks like a huge, moving traffic accident. Cars are hardly moving, they're similar to slugs and snails, and they are incredibly rude. That's another thing! Traffic rules DO NOT APPLY here EVER. Every time I step out into the road I fear a little for my life. I love the adrenaline rush, though. Pretty soon I'll be crossing streets for fun.

Ah, I'll forgo the sleep and talk about school. My first week (and a few days) have been great. I talk to the other American (she's from Florida and another redhead) and to other students, but in mostly Portuguese. After school on certain days at like 1:00 there are extra classes, and its basically like a study group with the professor. I go to those, because its an excuse to see my friends more. There are 3 classes in the morning, a brief break where the entire school is off (little kids and all) and everybody buys a lunch type thing. In Brazil, before you buy something you have to tell a different person, and they give you a ticket with the amount of money or item on it. Then you give that to a different person and get what you want. It is incredibly inefficient, or I think so, but maybe there is some hidden purpose that I'm missing :p Its chaotic, though, and you have to shout at the people behind the counter to be noticed and pretty much stick your hand in their face! After lunch (its more like snack time) there are three more classes, and then the day is done. Every day everybody has different classes. I like the variety.

I found my candy today and my charcoal. I literally started dancing around my room. Ah, the wonders of comfort food.

About food..Brazilians eat desert after EVERYTHING (be it a fruit, or a cake, or something) and there are these little cups of coffee after every meal. Its like espresso, but better and with milk and..mmmm...eu gosta! Usually, when you learn a language, you learn opposites. For example: love/hate, good/bad, etc.. I only know most of the positive words. I think that makes a pretty good statement about my time here so far. I asked Edilene the other day to teach me how to cook when I know more Portuguese. I told her that her cooking was so delicious, I keep eating and eating and eating and pretty soon I won't need the belt I just bought.

Oh! Another thing! At Rotary the other day, I had to speak to an entire room of important rich men (and one woman) about me, my rotary club, my town, and my exchange. IN PORTUGUESE. THROUGH A MICROPHONE. There were probably 75 people there and I had been in Recife for a week. It wasn't intimidating until about halfway through when I realized that these were people on whom it was necessary to make a good impression. Then I stuttered a little, but it was alright :D I ended with a cheesy "Thank you, Rotary" and they applauded me. I felt special. And probably turned a little red.

Sunday, after the party with my parents friends (we ended up getting home at like 4 30) Jorge, Henrique, Lena and I went to Olinda and drove around the old part of the city. It was SOOOO beautiful - I'll post pictures soon. I can't wait to walk around the city and see more! We ate at this French restaurant and it was absolutely delicious. In the northeast, there is tons of steak, fish, rice, beans and fruit. Usually there's a salad, too, which I try to load up on. WEIRDEST DESERT EVER. I ate this dish with banana, cinnamon, cheese and sugar. Yeah. It was like a churro but way more delicious. It sounds terrible, I know. Oh! Tapioca is sooo good with coconut and cheese. I adore it. Downtown, when I was walking around with Lauren (from Florida) we bought it for 50 centavos. The most impressive buy of my life. She's been here for 7 months, so she knows her way around and its safe to go places with her. I LOVED the centro do cidade, porque

aaaahhh i've been doing that a lot but I'm not going to erase it this time. Just so everybody can have evidence of this parade of English-Portuguese translations constantly blaring through my brain.

It is SO incredibly colorful, and full of life and music and singing, from everybody, and it was the most beautiful place EVER! People seem to know I am American before I even say anything, though, because they'll just come up to me and start speaking English. Its cute but irritating. I saw an old church and absolutely fell in love with it, because the interior and exterior are so incredibly detailed and beautiful and aaaaaaaahhhhhhh i might never come home.

I rode a public bus and it felt like I was on a roller coaster. I loved it :D

I should really sleep, but I don't want to because there is so much to talk about. Lena just came in and said goodnight.. I have tons of pictures, my going away poster, a few drawings and my "welcome, Maddie!" poster on my bulletin board (its actually magnetic) and I stare at it all the time. What a great reminder of people in the States who were kind enough to wish me a good journey!!

<3 Beijos, Tchau!!!

-Madeline (Mah-jee-leen-ay)

P.S. The French girl, Julie, has a HUGE library in her room here so I borrowed The Great Gatsby and the complete works of T.S. Elliot. I've discovered that I like him very much. One of his poems scared the crap out of me, though, and I am afraid to reread it.

Ah, I have a plate to send back home. Its a souvenir plate with the name of a restaurant and a picture on it. I got it for free because a man whom we ate with didn't like it (when you order a certain expensive dish at some restaurants they give you a plate). That night, we ate dinner with 12 or so different people at midnight. This is why I love this country. I will either give that plate to my Mom or Dad..someone call dibs so I don't have to choose. I'll find something else for the other parent lol :) But you never know which you'll like more!!!! Mwahaha.

I went for a run last night, but I can do considerably less here than when its 40 degrees or so in Wisconsin :D I miss the cold weather, but its so wonderful to be warm. I can't think of anything to complain about, because I LOVE everything.

Hope all is well - leave comments and tell me more about life in Wisconsin (my parents have been doing a good job of that)

Dad - I saw a man fishing, thigh deep in the ocean today and thought of you. <3 Bring your pole when you come..but I don't know what they're catching or how big it is. Miss you.

Ingrid - Whenever I'm hot and sweaty I think about how much you would like it here haha. Really though, I can't wait to show you around. I miss your analysis and thought. I'm sure its here but I can't speak well enough to find it :D

Mom - Nobody here has as many freckles as you, or hugs with such warmth :) Thanks for the frequent emails and such. Life sounds great and I miss you. Best Friend.

Todd - You're going to look super freakin tall when I get back D: I haven't seen a lot of long and lean people here, but I'm sure they exist. And I haven't done my dance every day, like you recommended (okay, only a few times..but with the blinds closed and right when I wake up in the morning to give me a little kick to get going).

Hans - Whenever I see a girl my age with a younger brother I have to look away. If you're taller than me when I get back I'll scalp you.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Maddie,

    What a wonderful piece of writing. I am so proud of your ability to communicate and your success in acclimating yourself to Brazil.

    Remember to be safe! I just had to get that out of the way.

    Hans and I went to the Fly Fishing Film Tour in Milwaukee last night. It was a rather eclectic event. The films were "short films" featuring a lot of great artistic footage from around the world...Belize, Mexico, American West, Argentina, Chile, Great Lakes Region, Alaska, New Zealand, Canada, etc. It was a good night and felt really comfortable to be surrounded by fly fishing brethren. Looking forward to standing in a river waving a stick with you when you return. Hans liked the films because they were relatively action packed and there were some funny scenes...people flustered by large fish and the chaos that they cause.

    Again, thank you for sharing with great detail your time in Brazil. Your posts to the blog mean so very much to all of us.

    Love,
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks Dad! I have to say, the part about standing in a river waving a stick made me smile. What is that from, a river runs through it?

    I bet the videos were AWESOME! Best of luck with everything..keep me informed because I love to read about it! About you calling me this week, sometime this weekend might be better because we can talk late (here, anyway. It'll still be relatively early there).

    Love you so much!

    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maddie, You're writing is just positively incredible. You have a lost to say and I'm so glad becuase I can spend a little longer reading it and thinking about what you're experiencing. Steve says "Hello", and wishes you luck. I'm going to send him your email and blog so he can respond to you himself.
    I really can't wait to see you again. The lifestyle in Brazil really seems to suit you. Not arriving home on weekends until 4:00 or 5 am. Well, have fun and I can't wait to read more from you soon.
    Will send an email soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angus, Lord I miss you!! I was thinking about your family today, and it struck me that I miss learning words in English. I haven't learned any new words in English down here, and I can feel my vocabulary slowly deteriorating. I mean, its nice because I have an English Portuguese dictionary, so I'm reminded of tons of them, but I know them all because there aren't super extravagant, exquisite and rare words in there. I miss the paragraph game! Lets do an online version with you and Hans, and whoever wants to play!

    It won't be difficult at all, we just have to figure out an order and we'll write something and send the last sentence, then put it all together at the end.

    Sound good? And write me a few new words every week, or month if you get the chance!!

    Love you SOOOOOOO much! Tell your family I say hello and all my love to them, to Steve.."Oi, meu amigo! Recife e muito bonito, e eu amo tudo aqui. Meu Portugues e nao bom ainda, mas eu vou aprendei porque eu adoro a idioma!" (if you can remember that)

    ps been writing much lately?? send me something sometime :D You're creations, last time I read them, were absolutely breathtaking!! Love you love you love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Maddie! I greatly concur re: your expressiveness via the pen..eh, keyboard, I have this image of you if you'd come onto the scene a century or so earlier, scribbling furiously with your quill pen, ink-stained fingers and all...keep it coming! I daresay it gives us all the greatest and closest vicarious experience possible :)) We're all so proud of you Maddie

    Love Todd

    Hi Maddie! I hope you're having an awesome time in Brazil! It sounds great!
    Love Jess

    Hello! Are you having a good time in Brazil? I hope you are! I miss you! Love Sophi

    ReplyDelete