Monday, June 21, 2010

Gratitude


Brazil has taught me more than I can begin to explain, but it is important to acknowledge that more than anything it has taught me gratitude. This is an adventure that is showing me culture, life and love, but I can’t ignore any longer the more serious lessons that I’m learning day by day. I’ll begin by describing the situation that, so far, has taught me most.

The rain is inconvenient for everybody, clearly, but for some it is so much more than a petty waste of time in a traffic jam. It’s lethal. Here in Recife, we had four or five rainy days in a row. Nonstop downpours flooded the streets, the rivers, and made the tide higher than I’m used to seeing it. For the upper class, it was untimely and unappreciated. After all, nobody wants to walk when the rain is falling in such sheets that even an umbrella won’t save anything. Also, to try and fight through the thigh high rivers in the roads is nearly impossible, not to mention filthy and a little dangerous. Therefore, nearly everybody in the city who has access to a car uses that, which, unless the car is beastly and massive, involves the risk of getting stuck. Not only can a car be ruined, but a immovable car is a prime target for crime and mugging. Locked doors will do next to nothing unless the windows are bullet proof.

When I talked to my family’s driver, Cicero, the second or third day of the downpours and confided in him that I thought it was neat, seeing such rivers in the roads and getting wet all the time in the rain, he responded with a look more serious than I had ever seen on him. He said only this (in Portuguese), “It’s not neat, Madeline. Look at the transit”. He looked offended, and until now I didn’t understand why.

People are dying due to mudslides and flooding. Homes all over the state are being destroyed, completely demolished, and modest businesses are going down with them. The people who have little possessions to spare are the ones who are being robbed of them, while the wealthy complain of ugly weather and wet leather shoes. People are dying. People are drowning under the debris of their homes, and I had the audacity to say that I thought the rain was so nice, that I rather enjoyed it. I had no idea.

The favelas can’t handle rain like this. They are homes that can hardly stand as it is. I just read a report online that claimed more than 12,000 to be displaced or homeless due to the rain in the state of Pernambuco (roughly the size of Kentucky).

Brazil has been a reality check, and one that I really appreciate because I needed it. There still isn’t any electricity in the town of one of the women that works in the house, Edilene, and it has been almost a week. The other, Dauva, said that the flooding was up to her waist on Thursday. People’s lives are so transformed, while I sit here with my family, on the 12th floor of a high rise and ride around in the colossal monster that we call a car. I am so lucky to have the life that I do.

I talked to my friend at dance today, and he told me a little about his life. His son, who is one of the most precious characters I’ve yet encountered in this country, comes with him to the classes sometimes. My friend had this child with a woman who is best described as kind, but neglectful, so he is currently struggling to raise this boy single handedly. He told me stories of survival that I, out of respect, won’t repeat, but it is important to realize how lucky we all are.

Here you sit, reading this on your computer because you own one. Living in the United States, a country with problems, like every other, but one that is well off in comparison to all the 3rd world countries on this planet. Please – just be grateful for what you have. I didn’t write this to appall the people who read my blog or to destroy any image of Brazil. Like any place, it has problems. The thing about Brazil is that, amidst all these problems (crime, poverty, and suffering), there is a life so current, free and happy, that I can’t help but to notice it even in the times of anguish. The culture of Brazil is filled to the brim with color, laughter, love, warmth, gratitude and happiness. People are always smiling, greeting one another and looking towards the rainbow after the rain.

Still, I am in love with this country. I can’t imagine my life without Brazil.

All my love to family and friends, and friends of family and friends, and anybody who wanders across my blog,

Maddie

P.S. Here’s a link to a newscast on the rain..its in Portuguese, so most of you won’t understand it, but you can at least look at the pictures and get a general idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrSufqLd6Gc&feature=related


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for update. I was thinking about you with all the news about the very heavy rains, and great destruction. I figured you would be protected from the dangers and the misery and sadness that afflicted the less fortunate ~ and I would guess, they are in the majority,and you and your host family, very much in the fortunate minority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, watched the clip and understood a bit, but the pictures said much. From here, sitting on a couch in Scotland, pouring outside but I'm dry, the floods look awesome and fun, but you can tell how much of a problem it is. Hope people recover OK and it's great that the happiness and culture continues to show through all of the distraught people and sadness.
    -Angus

    ReplyDelete